Monday, March 8, 2021

Celebrate International Women's Day by putting tools in the hands of women entrepreneurs in Pakistan


We’re celebrating International Women’s Day, March 8, by launching In Her Hands, a fundraising campaign to raise $40,000 this month so 50 women can change their lives through a unique small business program made by women, for women.

For women participating in the small business program it is about more than earning an income; it is about the intentional integration of women into the economy through the encouragement of female entrepreneurship and leadership.

Sonia Bibi, a women entrepreneur in Pakistan, tells her story.
I became a widow when my husband died 15 years ago, I was only 40. I have four daughters and one son, all of whom were studying at that time and suddenly I had no income. So I began to work as a daily labourer, moulding bricks at a brickyard. But I was always worried about my safety there as I faced a lot of harassment as a single woman.

Someone from my village recommended I visit the office of Taangh Wasaib Organization (TWO), a HOPE and tell them about my story. I entered the program and started a business buying and selling goats.

How did the program help you?
In my toolkit I received a small grant to buy my first goats. Currently, I am doing animal trade on a small scale. I purchase goats from different villages at a lower price and sell them at the animal market. I also attend different training workshops organized by TWO which have built my skills and confidence to handle the needs of my business. My communication and bargaining skills are improving day by day. Now, I earn more than enough for all of my family expenses and have been able to expand my business activity. With the success of my business my family is eating good food, can access healthcare, my children are getting a good education, and we are not worried about the daily expenses anymore.

What are your hopes for the future?
I have a plan to establish my own animal farm in the future where the breeding also takes place - currently, I am reinvesting a portion of my profits to buy more goats.  I am also saving for my daughters’ weddings.  I hope for more prosperity at my home in the future.

What are you most proud of?
In a patriarchal society, I am the head of my family and am fulfilling all of family’s needs. I feel stronger and safer with the help of my business. I am becoming a successful businesswoman.


Join In Her Hands and help women in Pakistan change their lives.